According to the American gastroenterological association, heartburn happens when there is a flow of gastric acid from the stomach into the esophagus.
Heartburn is often caused by a variety of factors, such as trigger foods or drinks, but naturally, it occurs more often when one has a weak lower esophageal sphincter.
Pregnant women who suffer heartburn often are advised to reduce the intake of chocolate, caffeine drinks such as coffee and to avoid alcohol.
Unfortunately, studies have shown that green bananas which are high in resistant starch have the tendency to cause heartburn.
However, the yellow counterpart has a lower amount of resistance starch hence does not cause heartburn.
What is resistant starch?
Resistant starch is a type of indigestible carbohydrate that helps gut fermentation. This starch is naturally present in large amounts in unripe fruits such as green bananas.
According to data collected by the Digestive Health Institute, foods with high resistant starch content cause heartburn during pregnancy.
Is it recommended to take banana during pregnancy?
Having read the first paragraph of this article, it is very natural for a pregnant mom to become skeptical and stay off bananas entirely to avoid heartburn.
For expectant mothers who wish to take the delicious banana fruits, ensure you go for the right type to prevent uneasy heartburns.
Go for lots of fruits and vegetables especially ones packed with fiber and essential nutrients.
One such nutritious fruit is the banana. Bananas are tropical fruits full of essential vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, and dietary fiber.
According to the American Nutritional society, banana contains high amounts of carbohydrates, vitamin C, essential fatty acids such as omega-3 and omega-6, dietary fiber, minerals like potassium, manganese, magnesium, calcium, copper, iron and selenium.
As a matter of fact, banana is a fruit that has it all, and these nutrients are essential for the healthy development of the fetus. So trust me, you don’t want to miss out on taking bananas.
Bananas have also been credited with relieving some pregnancy illness hence it is beneficial to both mother and child.
Benefits of taking bananas during pregnancy:
- Reduces edema; swollen feet caused by water retention in the body is very common during the second and third trimesters of pregnancy. The hormone progesterone which is in high secretion during pregnancy causes this water retention effect. To avoid edema during pregnancy, stay away from salty foods. Increasing the intake of bananas helps reduce the numbness, swelling and water retention.
- Relieves pregnancy nausea; because bananas are rich sources of numerous essential mineral and vitamins such as pyridoxine and vitamin B6, it has the unique ability to control nausea. The first two trimesters are characterized by morning sicknesses and nausea, eating bananas within these periods can help relieve morning sickness and nausea.
- Excellent source of folate; folate is very essential in promoting the development of the baby’s brain and spinal cord. Bananas contain high levels of folate hence should be taken often during pregnancy. High folate levels help prevent birth defects in the baby and improve the baby’s immune system.
- Quick source of energy; do you always feel weak? Banana is a quick source of energy. Thanks to its high carbohydrate content, it contains essential sugars like glucose, fructose, and sucrose. These sugars are known to metabolize very fast and provide the much-needed energy to perform work. Eating bananas very often can help fight fatigues.
- Prevents anemia; yes, it does. Anemia is the deficiency of hemoglobin in the body, which in turn reduces the red blood cell levels in the body. Now, bananas are rich sources of iron, iron is known to aid in the production of red blood cells, you do the math.
Other significant benefits of taking bananas during pregnancy:
- Helps in the development of the baby’s nervous system
- An excellent way to maintain blood pressure
- Believe it or not, it does prevent acidity and heartburn
- Assists with the excellent development of bones
- Helps to relieve constipation
- Aids in the treatment of diarrhea.
- Bananas contain minerals vital for breastfeeding moms
- Bananas help to stimulate appetite
- It is an essential source of vitamin A
Now you have this information, I trust you know the right bananas to go for when pregnant and above all the importance of taking one or two now and then.