Breastfeeding is a great time to bond with your baby – that’s what the majority says. But often times, they neglect to mention other truths about nursing a child: the importance of being comfortable and wearing the right bra.
Keep in mind that your breasts get bigger during pregnancy. You will not only need a larger bra but also one that is meant for maternity and nursing.
The best kind should not only be comfortable but also provide sufficient support and be easy to put on. A fantastic design is an added bonus too.
Just like regular bras, maternity and nursing bras come in different styles as well. The kind you end up with depends on a lot of factors, including preference.
Natori Women’s Hidden Glamour Maternity Bra not only provides full coverage, but it’s also comfortable and allows for easy feeding. There are other bras that offer the same level of comfort and support but in different styles.
Editor’s top picks:
- The Best Accommodation: Natori Women’s Hidden Glamour Maternity Bra
Quite Comfy: Motherhood Seamless Clip Down Nursing Bra
Choosing Maternity Nursing Bras
As mentioned, maternity bras come in different styles. It doesn’t matter which one you choose, what’s important is that it fits just right.
An ill-fitting bra is one of the mistakes many women make and that can lead to problems like an inflammation in the breast caused by plugged milk ducts.
To avoid mistakes, here are some tips on buying maternity nursing bras:
- Choose a size slightly larger than your current one. Your breasts will grow bigger during pregnancy and your rib cage will expand. You definitely want something that is easy to put on and increasing the size a bit can help.
- Pick a closure that suits you best. There are flaps that fasten at the top, while others open and close between the cups. There are bras without flaps as well; you just need to pull down the cups.
- Choose comfort over style. Maternity bras can be stylish, but you must consider your comfort first. Buy a bra made of strong fabric as that will help support your breasts.
- Get two or more bras. You don’t need to change your entire lingerie collection during pregnancy. A recommended quantity is three: one for wearing, another in the laundry, and the last one in the drawer.
The Best Nursing Bras
Vigoo Seamless Nursing Bra
This bra is soft and comfortable. It is made of a blend of spandex and cotton, making it both soft and stretchable – just what you need when nursing.
Adjustable straps and a wire-free design give this bra from Vigoo a more comfortable fit. The bra’s design also allows you to pump your breasts hands-free, giving you the freedom to do other things.
- It allows hands-free pumping
- It is comfortable
- It has adjustable straps
- The size may not be standard
iLoveSIA 3PACK Women’s Nursing Bra
Women experience bust fluctuations during pregnancy, and this bra stretches to accommodate such changes. Another plus factor with this bra is the adjustable straps, another useful feature to deal with breast changes.
Nursing is made easy with the bra’s easy clip-unclip feature. The removable, molded foam cups may be a bit awkward for some.
While this bra does provide the comfort you need, it’s equally great to wear after the nursing period is over. No need to throw away this one after the entire process is done.
- It accommodates changes the breast undergoes
- It can be used during and after pregnancy and nursing
- The removable cups may not be to the liking of some
Natori Women’s Hidden Glamour Maternity Bra
Ladies who prefer a bit of design with their maternity bras will like the lace elements in this one. Other than looking great, this bra also comes with full coverage stretch foam cups.
The closure is also an important design element in maternity bras, and this has one that is easy to open and close. The nylon and spandex combination of the fabric make this bra comfortable to wear.
- It is comfortable
- It comes with a great design
- It is easy to put on and pull off
- It provides full coverage
- The lace design might not be to nursing mother’s liking
Lamaze Maternity Cotton Spandex Sleep Bra for Nursing and Maternity
Every new mother deserves a restful sleep, and getting a sleep bra may just help make a more comfortable rest. Plus, it looks great and provides the ease needed for late or midnight feedings.
The support given by this bra might not be as great as that offered by a sports bra, but it’s completely fine to wear as you head to bed or for just lounging around.
- It provides the comfort needed for sleeping
- It can also be used when lounging
- It may not offer the same level of support as a sports bra
Motherhood Seamless Clip Down Nursing Bra
A good nursing bra will adjust to whatever changes occur in your breasts. This one does the job really well.
Plus, the seamless design might be a big plus for some women who prefer invisible lines. The clip-down function is really helpful as it makes nursing a lot easier.
Another great thing about this bra is that it can be used post-nursing. You don’t need to throw this away once you’re done with it.
- It has a clip-down feature for easy nursing
- It adjusts to changes in the breasts
- It can be used after nursing
- The fabric may snag when in touch with material like Velcro
Motherhood Sports Wireless Nursing Bra
Sports bras are comfortable, and it’s a good thing that the design extends even to nursing bras. This bra from Motherhood is easy to put on and the nylon-spandex fabric makes it comfortable to wear.
It provides great support and the clip down feature is always appreciated when nursing a child.
- It is comfortable and provides great support
- It allows for easy nursing thanks to a clip-down feature
- The sports bra design might not be to every nursing mother’s taste
Cake Lingerie Maternity Nursing Seamless Cotton Candy Bra
Many would suggest that a back closure is best for women who are pregnant or nursing. Opting for one boils down to preference, but this bra does offer that option.
The seamless design is also great and it provides the support needed by breastfeeding mothers. The racer-back design might not be to everyone’s liking but it is comfortable.
- It comes with a back closure
- It is comfortable and provides the needed support
- The racer-back design might not be preferred by some
Bravado Designs Women’s Buttercup Nursing Bra
The nylon-spandex combination for the fabric makes this bra really comfortable to wear. Bravado also made sure utmost comfort is provided by providing soft foam cups that stretch to accommodate changes.
Women who put value into the design will appreciate the feminine quality of this bra. The wire-free frame and convertible criss-cross straps are definite pluses.
- It is made of fabric that feels comfortable when in contact with skin
- It features a lovely, feminine design
- It adjusts to breast changes
- Sizing may be an issue
Nursing bras definitely make the feeding process a lot easier. As a mother, you can’t waste time when your child wants their food.
While nursing bras come in different styles, you should choose a design that suits you best. Take into consideration how it’s going to be used (for help during sleeping, purely for nursing, something to wear all day, etc.) and allow that to guide you in choosing the right bra.