The body already asks too much when you’re pregnant. As if that isn’t enough, you also suffer from a range of aches and pains, including swelling.
Since your baby has demands of its own, your body has to respond in kind. And it does so by producing 50% more blood and body fluids, leading to swelling.
Disclaimer: This post might contain affiliate links. In case you buy through these links, we might receive a small commission, which helps us operate this website. Learn more here.
Other than being pregnant, swelling can also be brought about by:
- standing for long periods
- a long day of activity
- the heat of summer
- a diet that is low in potassium
- a consumption of caffeine in high levels
- an intake of sodium in high levels
Watching what you eat can treat swelling during pregnancy, but there is another thing you can do to alleviate the situation: wear compression stockings.
Compression stockings can lessen swelling and they also improve blood flow. They come in different sizes and strengths, each suited to your specific needs.
A favorite among not only pregnant women but also athletes is the Physix Gear Sport Compression Socks. Others include knee-high, thigh-high, and full-length varieties.
- Highly Recommended: Physix Gear Sport Compression Socks
A Close Second: Newzill Compression Socks
Deserves Your Attention: SB SOX Compression Socks
How to Choose Maternity Compression Stockings
Choosing the right maternity compression socks means knowing exactly where you need it most. There are different kinds of compression stockings, and these are:
- Knee-high compression stockings – better known as compression socks, these can provide relief from swelling extending from ankle to calf.
- Thigh-high compression stockings – these provide the same benefits as knee-high stockings but with the added benefit of relieving your thighs.
- Full-length pantyhose – the best option if you are suffering from pains due to swelling from your back down to your toes.
Based on those descriptions, you would think that the best option is the full-length version. Yes, it can provide the kind of protection you need but it can be a hassle to put on.
The more the stocking covers your body, the harder it is to put on. Keep in mind that you have to deal with a growing belly.
As such, it’s best to stick with stockings where you need them most. Then again, no one is stopping you from getting the full-length pantyhose if you so desire it.
But if doing so, make sure that you have help, especially during the last trimester.
Another consideration for compression stockings is the actual pressure it provides. It is represented in this manner: 15-20mmHg.
The higher number represents the compression at the foot while the lower number represents the compression at the top. The 15-20mmHg stockings are good for minor swelling.
The 15-20mmHg version is also widely available and comes in different styles. But in case you suffer from severe swelling, the 20-30mmHg is the best option for you.
You should also consider your height when buying compression stockings. Even though a stocking is labeled as knee-high, it may sit higher up if you are shorter.
Top Maternity Compression Stockings
Physix Gear Sport Compression Socks
This is designed to sit at the bottom of the knee cap to support your feet and legs. A wider top makes it easier to put on – a much-needed design feature when pregnant.
Made of nylon, this stocking can absorb moisture well. It’s also durable enough to remain tight even after several washings.
- It is highly recommended not only by pregnant women but also athletes
- It fits those with slightly wider legs well
- The seam in the toe area can be uncomfortable for some
Newzill Compression Socks
These socks are also thick enough to protect the legs from scratches. But despite its thickness, it’s not uncomfortable to wear.
- It is easy to put on and pull off
- It comes in different colors and designs
- The excessive fabric in the toe area might be uncomfortable for some
SB SOX Compression Socks
It is also good at preventing odor while also wicking away moisture and sweat.
- It provides comfort
- It controls odor and moisture
- It might be too tight for some
Run Forever Sports Leg Compression Socks
It was also designed to be the perfect fit – just make sure to get accurate measurements for your calf.
- It has a “barely there” feel
- It was designed to fit just right
- Some might find the compression too tight
Buttons & Pleats Medical Grade Compression Sockss
It also features a micro-brushed toe for protection against chaffing.
- It provides protecting against chaffing for toes
- It provides the right amount of compression
- The sizing may not be standard
MadeMother Maternity Compression Stockings
In addition, this item will adjust to the shape and size of your feet during your nine-month journey.
- It sports a simple yet comfortable design
- It easily adjusts to the size and shape of your feet
- Some may have mixed feelings about the open toe design
Rikedom Sports Graduated Compression Socks
In addition, it provides comfort to the feet with its padded sole and toe box.
- It features a fashionable yet functional design
- It provides comfort for the soles and toes
- Some may find the compression lacking
BeVisible Sports Maternity Compression Socks
This item also features an innovative weave and design for comfort.
- It provides the needed comfort
- The open-toe design can be a hit or a miss
Eternities Compression Socks
It is made of high-quality, durable fabric that looks fashionable yet remains functional.
- It is both fashionable and functional
- It provides a high enough compression for those suffering from severe swelling
- The pressure might be too much for those with minor swelling
Ion Me Compression Socks
Equally appreciated is the moisture-wicking and breathable fabric, as well as the seamless toe design.
- It has great design and function
- It is made of comfortable material
- The compression levels might not be for everyone
Compression socks offer a great comfort to ease swelling during pregnancy. However, relief and comfort are best guaranteed when you pick an item most suited for your needs.